View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 02:44 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Social Security disability?

I know at 3.5 months in, I'm still early in my healing process, but I am wondering when others applied for disability. I am progressing but not nearly fast enough and I'm very stressed out about our finances. Things are looking bleak.

I have just started working 6-8 hours a week doing lesson planning only. God only knows when I'll be at capacity to handle my classroom again, even part time.

In the meantime, savings are now gone, sick leave is long gone, donated leave has dried up and my recalculated salary for my hourly rate is insulting. I may be earn enough $ to pay for monthly milk and bread for my 4 kiddos...Better than nothing I guess.

I do not have short term disability insurance, though I was supposed to. Some of my friends and family are pushing me to apply for Social Security disability.

From other posts, I know the neuropsych eval is pretty important. The neuropsych in my area doesn't see TBI patients until their 6 month mark. That's the end of March for me. My referral for him goes in at the end of this month.

Should I go ahead and get the application process started just in case I don't improve enough for me to return to work full time soon? Should I consult an attorney?

I'm having a hard time processing everything and plotting a course of action so some advice would be great! Thanks in advance.

Hit top of my head pretty hard on a cabinet door in July, 2014, then our old pantry door broke off its hinge and hit me in the left temple on Sept. 21st, 2014. Maybe my 8th or 9th concussion. Apparently, one knock too many.

Currently dealing with most of the "normal" PCS symptoms. I'm trying to heal and get back to a normal life and my teaching job.

Things are far too bright and noisy everywhere. I yearn for a good night's sleep.

Undergoing cognitive and vestibular therapy. Hopeful for great progress and healing!
SweetC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote