View Single Post
Old 01-10-2015, 10:18 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default dental rubber dam caused extensive damage

I was recently had a root canal treatment after being diagnosis with a fistula on the lingual side of tooth #31. My complaint going in was an irritation along the gum line. The endodontist claimed the tooth was dead and proceeded to do the treatment. He used a rubber dental dam for the procedure. After the procedure I experience a lot of pain along the gum line (where the fistula supposedly was) of the treated tooth. On day 5 after the treatment I went to the referring dentist for placement of the temporary crown. He and his assistant commented numerous times on how inflamed the gums were and proceeded to place the temporary crown, which was indeed painful. I was told to use "orabase" to help the gum pain. I continued to experience gum pain and began to experience jaw pain so returned to both the endodontist who told me he did not know why this happened. I asked for antibiotics which he game. I also returned to my dentist who sent me to a periodotist. I now have to have extensive gum surgery and some sort of regenerative treatment because the tissue has been destroyed due to infection. I have never had gum disease, pockets, nor was the treated tooth painful. Now I have all three and will need special cleanings and may still not be able to keep the tooth. I would like to know how this could happen. Can a dental rubber dam cause this or was my treatment lacking.
Thanks
happydog3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote