View Single Post
Old 01-10-2015, 11:18 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Research shows that every concussion has lasting issues. Most of those lasting issues are not manifest except in stressful situations. Sobriety aside, you did damage to your brain . The research on that is solid, too.

The simplest issue is that after a single concussion, subsequent concussions can be suffered from less force and have longer or more serious symptoms. The concussed person may no longer exhibit any symptoms from the first concussion but will still have the residual brain weakness to further trauma. Also, that person will be more prone to a relapse of symptoms when under stress. That stress can be emotional, physical and metabolic/chemical. For example, people who have suffered a concussion have a statistically consistent intolerance for higher altitudes.

Keep in mind that the brain is a three pound mass of nerve tissue. Peripheral nerves have healing capabilities that the brain does not have.

At only one week, it is hardly worth asking but, What symptoms are you having that having you concerned ?
Thanks for your reply Marc.

Well here's the story. After my snowboarding fall, like I mentioned above, I didnt go unconscious at all. I had no dizziness, no nausea, no vomiting, no bright lights. I just felt a little hazy and had a minor headache. I also whipped my neck back pretty hard so the headache could've been from that.

4 hours later I decided to go to the ER just to be 100% sure there wasnt any unnoticed cranial bleeding. The PA there did a neuro check on me and determined I had no neuro symptoms at all. So to be on the safe side she ruled it a minor concussion w/o LOC/neuro changes. She said it was even possible I didnt have a concussion but it was also possible that I did.

So at this point, I honestly can't tell if the symptoms are psychosomatic or not. I guess I kinda feel just a little under 100%, maybe just a tad hazy. But who's to say, if I wasn't concerned I actually had a concussion, would these symptoms still be there or not? Is my mind creating them, connecting the dots? Headaches come and go but seem to usually be associated with neck pain but sometimes not.

So that is how it stands presently. Possibly some minor symptoms which could very well be created out of paranoia of the mind. But nonetheless I wanted to play things on the safe side.

I find it unfortunate to think that just a minor concussion could permanently change someone in the sense they will always be more sensitive and more prone to stress. I would like to think the body is AT LEAST capable of healing 100% from a minor concussion.

Also, I am still wondering if nicotene would impair healing?

Thanks again!
john1960 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote