View Single Post
Old 01-10-2015, 02:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Nicotine could be included with the 'best not to' list of thinks like alcohol, caffeine, MSG and artificial sweeteners. It constricts the small blood vessels which are often most needed by the struggling brain.

I'm confused. If you are exhibiting no concussion symptoms other than occasional head aches, why are you concerned about healing 100% ? Is it just an anxiety issue ?

The brain is the only tissue that does not go through a continuous regeneration. Skin, muscle and bone cells are constantly dying and being replaced. Brain cells are basically lifetime cells. There are possibly some new cells growing slowly over time but this is a slow and minimal process. The challenge to neurogenesis or neuroregenesis is the fact that brain cells are a memory storage system. They store information and processes. Some of those processes are learned over long time spans.

Brain development basically take about 20 years to mature. We'd need to be constantly relearning information if brain cells were regularly dying and being replaced.

I still think you should consider the vitamins and supplements regimen. It will be good for you, especially considering your history and current anxiety. It helps the brain tolerate stress and operate more efficiently.
Well I dont know why anyone wouldn't want to heal 100%, even if symptoms are vague and minor. I does make me somewhat anxious as Im sure we all want our brains operating 100% and waiting through the process of healing can be anxiety provoking, especially if you are not knowledgeable on what you are going through. I also have my state boards for my RN licensure coming up in a month.

I guess I just want to know, that If I do things right on my end, my brain can recover to its pre concussion status. The thought of any kind of permanent residual, be it **forever** more prone to stress or more sensitive to high altitudes, is far from comforting, and frankly feels a bit overboard to even put it like that. One would like to think that there would be enough capability in their body to fully recover from a relatively minor snowboarding fall.

Thank you for your answers so far. I checked out your supplement list. I am currently taking a good number of things on there, including b-12, D3, a vegetarian omega 3 blend, and have the curcumin but dont use it regularly.

If you can think of any more thoughts or insight Im always open.
john1960 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote