View Single Post
Old 01-10-2015, 05:51 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

welcome to the group swampcricket. sorry you have rsd. i've had it for four years in Feb. i'm not a dr but will tell what my opinions and experiences are on rsd and amputation.

first off, having surgery done on the initial rsd site can be very dangerous because it can cause more pain and spread. my drs wouldn't do surgery on my wrist after i broke it to reset it because i had developed rsd and they didn't want to cause more pain and spread from rsd. i would check with another ortho surgeon and pm dr who knows what rsd is because if they did, i don't believe they would have done that.

secondly, every dr i've spoken to, including my neurologist, pm dr and ortho surgeon said not to amputate the rsd site. amputation can make the rsd pain worse by spreading and will not help you at all. amputation is bad and not helpful in treating rsd pain. i would check with a neurologist and pm dr to confirm this with you.

it sounds to me like your dr doesn't have enough knowledge on how to treat rsd and can cause you more harm then he may already has by doing surgery on your rsd site and talking about amputating your rsd site. if i were you i would get a few more opinions from qualified rsd drs.

one thing i've learned the hard way from rsd is that not all drs know what it is and how to treat it. and what's worse then that is not all drs will admit to that. some drs egos are bigger then their concern for their patients.

thats not to say they are all like that. there are good and qualified ones out there. you just have to keep searching until you find them. it's a trial and error thing. check out rsd hope and rsdsa on line for possible dr listings. everyone on this forum are also very kind and helpful.

i hope you can find a dr who can get your pain under control soon. i am sending soft hugs and warm thoughts your way. take care.
"Thanks for this!" says:
birchlake (01-11-2015), Enna70 (01-10-2015), shelbie4u (07-20-2018)