Thread: Concussions?
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2015, 11:04 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Yes, a concussion can cause a seizure, especially if you lost consciousness.

I have never heard anything about hearing breaking glass. It may have been a tinnitus like auditory event.

The ER does not have to treat you for every ailment, only those that indicate a risk to life or health.

The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA) requires ER's to screen and stabilize patients to determine if the problem is a medical emergency, regardless of their ability to pay. The definition provided under the statute is: "A medical condition manifesting itself by acute symptoms of sufficient severity (including severe pain) such that the absence of immediate medical attention could reasonably be expected to result in ... placing the health of the individual in serious jeopardy, serious impairment to bodily functions, or serious dysfunction of any bodily organ or part."

Even the cheaper high deductible health plans are worthwhile because many include contract discounts for the fees you have to pay. Plus, they have maximum out of pocket amounts that can prevent financial disaster.

I can't imagine being active in the outdoors without health insurance. I have paid for my and my family's health insurance since 1976 and it has saved me plenty. Three knee surgeries, two ankle surgeries, sutures galore, concussion issues, broken foot bones and ankles, partially dislocated shoulders with therapy, expensive facial surgery for my daughter and wife (genetic). I bet I paid ten cents for every dollar of benefits I have received. It sure is easier to go see a doctor when you have only a $25 to $45 copay. Even the ER only costs us $150.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Tritta86 (01-16-2015)