View Single Post
Old 01-11-2015, 06:50 PM
Magnate

8 yr Member
Magnate

8 yr Member
Cool Smirk

Makenzie,
I agree with Justjane about the dental work - and then some - I am ashamed to admit I visit the Dentist for emergency work only, the pain is just too bad for cleaning and routine work. I get by with loads of mouthwash and gum, and little-and-often brushing when I can. I wear a beard by choice but can only trim it (electric trimmers) every 3 months or so and having someone touch my head to cut my hair happens every few years.
I understand how you thought you were crazy at the start of this, mine began with painful pins and needles numbness(like your arm waking up when you've slept on it wrong) in my nose, spreading up to my forehead. Try telling that to your GP. Thankfully, my GP is excellent and referred me to a Neurologist. By the time the appt came round the numbness had spread all over the left side of my face and head so dx with an MRI confirming the arterial knot was easy.
I have numbness all the time, and different things which cause extreme pain like you. As time goes by you have to modify your life to accommodate this horrible condition without letting it run or ruin it. I take no meds specifically for TN as I have severe Neurological Hypersensitivity, neck and back injuries and Depression etc so I have Lidocaine infusions, take Ketamine, Oral Morphine, Tramadol and Mirtazapine. The anaesthetics combined with the opiates are very good at dulling down neurological pain, even for me reduction is 40% on the best days.
Keep on top of your PM team with regard to finding a level of medication that will allow you to eat properly on 'normal' days, modifying your diet so radically is no way to have to live. Above all else, stay positive. TN may be grating, depressing Hell but we are still here and we have good days, and - who knows - the next change in meds might bring you almost total relief.

Dave.
EnglishDave is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
justjane37 (01-11-2015), MakenzieMarks (01-12-2015)