Old 01-11-2015, 11:35 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizi View Post
I think that would have been a mistake starting a new medication getting ready to leave town. (I decided to not run the t3 or t4 until I get back from vacation)
Agree 100%. There is no imminent danger to you, and starting ANY new regimen before leaving for 3 weeks is like opening a bag of tricks... you don't know what can pop out... not a good idea. You made a good decision, IMO.

Quote:
Quickly researching elevated TSH and HDL, it seems that both can be elevated from drinking too much alcohol.
Yes, I saw this as well.

Quote:
So I am going to wait to have the t3 t4 run in about a month and am going to curtail my drinking. I have eaten and drank every night for the past 3 weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
I think it takes more than one month --three months maybe but I am not an expert.
Yes, that is what I remember, as well, for both the thyroid and the HDL. We can google more and figure out if we have the time right.

Quote:
My mdoc wanted to start me on 2 meds with out looking further into the t3t4 nor take consideration of my elevated hdl. Do I need a new mdoc????
Tough call. You still get to be in charge of your treatment plan. Changing doctor is one way of taking charge. Another way of taking charge is simply to refuse the treatment, and give her your reasons. No doctor is perfect. Sometimes they may not be aware of things, like alcohol influencing levels. She may not be exactly aware of your drinking. A lot of doctors only test pin-pointy things. Insurance has started to drive some things -- possibly the only running TSH, and then not re-testing it with the T4. These current issues seem sloppy, but not grossly incompetent.

Bottom line: if you've had repeated competence or sloppiness issues with her, then perhaps you should change. If it is the occasional thing that happens... it will happen with most doctors.

It also depends on how you see this issue. Maybe you regard it as blatant incompetence, not just sloppiness.

I am continuing in a second post, because it is too long.

waves
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (01-11-2015), DiMarie (01-12-2015), Dmom3005 (01-12-2015), Mari (01-11-2015), mymorgy (01-12-2015)