View Single Post
Old 01-12-2015, 03:54 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo View Post
Does reprogramming the valve normally help you? Is she adjusting the pressure higher or lower (setting going up or down)?

Shunt tap is where the put a needle into the reservoir and can take a csf sample but they can also measure the pressure (isn't completely reliable but as a gross measure might be helpful). Lumbar puncture is a spinal tap but the can take a pressure reading there as well as a csf sample. If the readings are different and can't be explained, they'll revise my daughter's shunt (she has communicating ventricles so usefulness may not apply to you, I don't know). Shuntogram is where they inject an isotope into your shunt system at the reservoir and take pictures of it going through your system and see if there is a problem. There are drawbacks to all of these, small infection risk or doesn't always show the problem. Getting your eyes fully checked (neuro ophthalmologist preferred) would be a great non invasive option.
She keeps setting it higher each time because everytime I go in its always lower than what she set it as the previous visit. I can only say that I have never had any of those procedures done or even mentioned to me by doctor! I think will get my eyes checked
premar16 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote