View Single Post
Old 01-12-2015, 01:03 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hi Bryanna,

About 2 weeks ago, I came down with pain & swelling in the wisdom tooth extraction site on the lower right side.
I also had a very bad taste in my mouth. I went to see my dentist & he told me I had an abscess & that I had to make an appointment with the surgeon to have a "debridement" (when they open up the wound/extraction site & clean it). He also put me on antibiotics (amoxicillin 1000 mg, 20 caps).
I went to see the surgeon on Wednesday to have the debridement under local anesthesia. It didn't really hurt, but I could feel him scraping & pulling. Afterwards it hurt like hell! Really, I didn't have this much pain after my wisdom tooth extraction!

He also took an x-ray (total, where the machine moves around your head) & the assistant told me that you could clearly see that the extraction area hadn't healed the way it should've after 3 months.

Now, my question is: is it normal for the adjacent molar to still feel sensitive after all this time? It's not sensitive to cold or heat, but only when I touch it or bite down on it.
The surgeon told me this was normal & that it could last for a couple of weeks.
But how do you explain the fact that it's been this way for the past few months? Could this have to do with the infection being present all this time? I had a bad taste in my mouth even before I developed the swelling in my cheek (abscess), but my dentist didn't see anything wrong with the extraction site when I told him about this in early December.
If there was something wrong with the adjacent molar, would they have seen it on the x-ray?
And also: do they touch the adjacent molar (roots or bone) when they do the debridement? Because it really felt like they did.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Kind regards

Frederique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Frederique,

Sometimes a piece of a filling has come out or broken off and we are unable to see it in the mirror. However, even something really tiny but deep could cause discomfort.

Regarding mercury fillings...... two things:

1) All mercury fillings are highly toxic. Mercury in every form in every application is toxic and can cause or contribute to a slew of health problems. Mercury is not a safe material to use in our teeth and many countries are making it illegal to use it. Mercury is affected by temperature and pressure. Meaning every time you chew, every time you eat or drink something warm or hot, every time you brush your teeth, you release mercury from those fillings into your oral tissue and beyond. The vapors are toxic and never dissipate. This is something the dentist who placed them, should have informed you of.

2) Removing mercury fillings should only be done by someone who takes this toxicity seriously and follows the proper removal protocol. Otherwise, the removal of those fillings can be irreversibly toxic to you.

Regarding the urgency of repairing the broken filling in that second molar, the dentist may feel that it is best to allow that surgical area to heal a bit more before he goes near there with an air powered drill. Simply because the air from the drill can throw bacteria into an open area of a recently surgerized area that could result in a problem.

Bryanna
Frederique1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote