View Single Post
Old 01-12-2015, 02:35 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default New Member, dealing chronic pain

I am a 59 year old female artist, and doctor ofClinical Psychology in mostly private practice I practice privately, with some clinical affiliations, and work especially with creative young people. I am also familiar with many clinical frameworks for understanding OCD and addictions. I am the mother of two lovely young women, and have been married for 26 years.

I have always struggled with some level of obsessive thinking and sleep problems, but in the past few years I have been walloped by what is becoming chronic pain which limits my activities and makes me miserable! I have had PT, chiropractic treatment, acupuncture, thumb splints, cortisone 3 times, and all sorts of ergonomic adjustments.

I found this forum through a google search. I have been using 5-10 mg of ambien for sleep for several years, and have come to realize that I rely on it to override pain that has built up during the day. I believe this is an off-label use, but perhaps has some clinical precedent. Ambien relaxes me and I have no negative side effects. I neither want nor tolerate opioids. Ibuprofen is wearing out my GI tract!

I try to avoid misinforming myself by running to the internet, but I did notice a thread that raised the issue of off-label ambient use to override pain that makes sleep uncomfortable.

I am so aware of how people can be perceived as "med-seeking." and I am acutely sensitive to how I may be seen, which prevents me from asking for what works for me. I am interested in finding research and clinical anecdotes that addres the use of ambient to help to override pain.
riv44 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (01-12-2015)