View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015, 02:22 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Is it the impact or the sudden jolt after?

So I was wondering if for example you were to suffer impact from a moving object such as the fists from another person. Does concussion occur from the actual energy from the punch to the bones or from the sudden jerk/rotation afterwards? I read it could happen solely by the energy transmitted from the punch to the bone, is this true? And if so, does it then require so much energy that the bones will likely break before a concussion happens? This is technically speaking, if it were to happen without any head movement caused by the impacting force, as a real case scenario will likely result in head movement from such a force.

Why I ask this is because I accidentally was struck by a small impacting force on one of my cheekbones, luckily enough, there wasn't really any jolt/jerk/rotation, all that really happened is me ending up with feeling a bit sore. So is it the acceleration/deceleration after the punch that's reason for concern, or the actual impacting force. Greater force = Greater jerk too I guess, so there is a connection, but I believe the force wasn't significant enough to cause any real sudden movements of the head.

So which one of the two is the trigger for a potential concussion? The sudden movement or the actual energy from the punch?
Minimac is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote