View Single Post
Old 01-14-2015, 11:30 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Mytoothhurts2,

Thank you for the kind words... I'm glad I can be helpful to you

I am still skeptical about that new filling on the molar and think it and the root canaled tooth will need to be addressed at some point. As I mentioned before, root canaled teeth remain inflamed due to the bacteria still present inside the tooth irrelevant of there being symptoms or not. But I agree that the wisdom tooth site is the priority.

The surgical debridement of the wisdom tooth site is done to remove any residual ligament and granulation tissue which is connective tissue with little blood vessels that fills in the site during the initial healing phase. Since the blood clot was lost early on, the bone was unprotected and it just didn't heal properly. The idea is to remove all that and get a good healthy blood supply going so a new clot can form. Depending on the individual case, the post op discomfort of this debridement may be similar to that of the extraction. It is usually short in duration if the clot stays in place and the sight heals well.

Regarding the antibiotic..... usually the patient is on antibiotics for the debridement. However, it sounds like your intestinal health is becoming compromised from the antibiotics so before that becomes worse, he is suggesting that you stop those meds. I am going to assume that you do not supplement with probiotics? If not, then it is imperative that you start to do that now. Antibiotics can deplete the intestines of all of the healthy bacteria and when that happens you can end up with an intestinal infection. Even weeks after you stopped the antibiotic. The probiotics can help prevent or lesson the degree of that from occurring.

If you want information on probiotics, let me know.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mytoothhurts2 View Post
Thanks again Bryanna - I so admire how you dedicate yourself to we who are confused and scared - I do hope that all you do comes back to you ten fold.

I saw the oral surgeon today -he doesn't think it's the filling but the actual wisdom tooth extraction site. It looks on the xray as though the bone isn't filling in and he says the extraction site is still a really deep hole. I think the filling maybe just upset the whole thing - maybe even drilling debris is in the hole? Anyway, I'm to go back on Friday and he said he would clean it out an do a curette on the bone. Regarding the pain in the root canal - he said that all the inflammation is just upsetting it - to be honest ALL of my teeth are now becoming really sensitive so I'm willing to let it go and see what happens once we fix the pain in the wisdom tooth region.

He said it wouldn't take long and he would give me a local anaesthetic. What I didn't think to ask is will there be a lot of bleeding? Will healing be the same as the first time the wisdom tooth came out? I so don't want to go through all of that again (of course I have no choice).

Also, I have been having an upset tummy with the Clindamycin (and I had penicillin before the Clindamycin) - it's not diarrhea yet just frequent bowel movements and the OS suggested I stop the Clindamycin before it progresses further. I assume that I'll be OK without antibiotics? and that the procedure will be enough to control the infection?

Again, thanks a million.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote