View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007, 09:16 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My dad started complaining of numb feet in his forties. We didn't think of it as a disease, but as a normal result of him being on his feet all day (he owned a grocery) for long hours six days a week. He never had pain, and is now 95 yrs old!

I was 51 when the PN started. After a cold and grueling winter backpack trip in the local high desert (Santa Rosa Wilderness) my feet started itching. I applied fungicide and thought it would get better in a week or so. Instead, the itching spread, and turned to intense and debilitating aching pain between the metatarsal heads, burning, electric shock feelings that prevented sleep, extreme skin sensitivity, and other areas of the skin being totally numb.

I went through three abusive and derisive doctors before finally getting a neurological referral. The neurologist gave no cause and no hope, but at least it now had a name, so my wife didn't think I was crazy like those jerk physicians did.

The worst thing back then, besides having PN and not being able to run and backpack was the isolation and fear. Doctors were no help and there was nobody to turn to for help or advise. The first help was reading Dr. Wiel's book, "Spontaneous Healing". That inspired me. I tried acupuncture and Chinese herbs (no help), then Ayengar yoga which gave me my balance back and started restoring ankle and leg reflexes.

The MGH forum before the previous one was a wonderful thing for me. The isolation was over, and much of the fear as we learned from each other. The first other person I met with PN was Liza Jane on our second trip to New York after corresponding with her in the old forum. The experience was empowering and electrifying for both of us, the start of a deep friendship to this day.

If you didn't include the area you live in your profile, adding that can create possibilities for friendship and for getting advise for doctors etc.