View Single Post
Old 01-15-2015, 11:27 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Sources on aphasia in speech vs writing?

Hello again all,

Can anyone point me to any sources discussing differences in the areas of the brain that control written word versus verbalized speech? Also, if anyone is aware of any sources regarding aphasia selectively affecting verbal function versus writing? Finally, I am also curious about the possibility of aphasia progressively worsening after an injury.

Quick update: Finally visited neurologist. I was worried at first but the examination seemed to go fine. He said he is concerned this is more than PCS and asked for 2 more weeks to review brain & neck CTs and MRIs then return to f/u and order more testing.

Also referred for neuropsych evaluation and ordered not to return to work.

With my wife's help and the use of the TBI Survival Guide we compiled a good list of symptoms and and history/progression of them. He also found hyperactivity in reflexes of my feet he said could indicate either more severe brain injury or a spinal cord injury to go along with it.

The aphasia seems to be progressively getting worse, though. I'm not sure when but I have developed a stutter in my speech.

What I did notice is that given a pen and blank white paper I can write out my thoughts whereas I complet freeze up when attempting to verbalize them.

I would also note that despite having normal blood pressure for years, I have been in th ER twice last week with hypertensive crisis (165/114 and 182/111). This could be a response to pain or stress/anxiety as I struggle with new reality.

And the fact some symptoms seem to be worsening could be related to starting a journal last week which means I now have a better MEMORY of my symptoms.

In any case, I am baffled/scared/intrigued both by the vast differences in my writing and verbal skills and what seems to be a progression of symptoms . I didn't seem to find anything else on point here so hoped someone else might
know. That and I just like to read Mark and Lara and MrsD, etc, comments!
Lawyer1732 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote