View Single Post
Old 01-17-2015, 12:14 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
I find I need to have intelligent sound (voices) going on as I start to shut down to sleep. It is easier for me to ignore outside voices than to ignore the thoughts going on in my head. Those thoughts are often just processing sensory stimulation.

Basically, I need one sensory channel to distract me from the other sensory channels. Since the auditory channel can be dominant, filling it with stimulation that I can ignore allows me to get my mind settled. When my insomnia was at its worst, I would listen to vocalists singing in a foreign language. I knew just the basics of the meaning of the lyrics so I was not consciously trying to interpret the words. I could just rest and listen to the music of the vocals.

Now, I can use any non-important speaking or singing to provide the distraction. White noise does not help me. It allows my mind to get started in conscious verbal thought.

For some, having something to repeat or sing in the mind may help. I use Amazing Grace as a 'singing in my mind' distraction.

Hope this helps.

My best to you.

Mark and Bud- my NeuroPsych recommended a workbook called 'the anxiety and phobia workbook' which I got at the library and it has helped with the anxiety. Also I was unfamiliar with anxiety (except before a race) so I purchased the Midwest Stress Center CDs which have been great! And audio distraction like Mark said helps massively. =} But it still comes up at random times and I'm learning just to think of it as something that's not scary but just happening so that I don't panic =}

Hope that offers some help

Therapy: Vision therapy to improve focal and ambient systems Neuropsychological testing and treatment Vestibular therapy Gabapentin 1800mgs/daily Clonazapam when needed

Natural Therapy and Supplements: Brain breaks every 2 hours Meditation GABA 1000 mcgs B12 1000 mcgs Niacin 3000-5000 mgs (this has significantly helped with brain fog, mood control, and depression) Nordic Naturals Fish Oil 2000mgs Potassium Multi V Glucosamine 5HTP Vitamin D 1500mgs

"Your True Self contains Every Possibility"
-Deepak Chopra
=}
[/SIZE]
ilikepolkadots is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote