View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015, 07:12 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm not sure but the disability program might be different in Canada. I haven't gone on full disability because there are times that I can still work and even if it is only part time, my earnings disqualify me from disability. I also prefer to support myself, even if it is from savings, rather than to rely on insurance for as long as possible. I think that is fair because so long as I can support myself, which I have been able to so far, I shouldn't be collecting funds from the government.

The sort of disability program that I do qualify for gives me a break on income tax and is in place to offset the additional costs of having a disability...cost that are not otherwise covered by medical insurance. That too is fair IMO because of the $1500.00 in medication, therapy and aids that I claimed on my last insurance application, only 1/3 is covered. Anything else, in addition to the things my insurance does not cover must be paid for out of pocket and amounted to over $15,000 in 2014. The tax break that I get is for half of that; meaning that I don't pay tax on around 7, 000 of generated income.

Basically, at this point, I worked enough last year to cover my living costs but most of the costs of having a disability were paid for from savings. When/if the savings run out, I'll have to go on full disability if I can't work enough to support myself...but I am committed to getting back to work on a more steady schedule this year.

With love, Erika
Erika is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
barb02 (01-19-2015), Darlene (01-21-2015), Debbie D (01-22-2015), doydie (01-20-2015), LoveCats (01-20-2015), SallyC (01-19-2015)