View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015, 11:24 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi leesal,

I am glad that you are finally have some relief from the pain. May I ask why you let the original oral surgeon do these second surgeries? Was it for financial reasons?

Anytime you have oral surgery, you are going to have an unpleasant taste and breath odor because you have surgical wounds that are deep into the bone and bacteria infiltrates the area as it is healing. If there is no infection, the taste and odor will slowly dissipate as the sites heal.

With that said, sometimes the odor and taste are due to infection. In your case, the only one who knows what's lurking in the surgical sites is the surgeon who has performed the surgeries.

When he did these second surgeries, did he place new bone grafts in those areas? Did he instruct you to rinse "twice" a day with chlorhexidine?

Did he put you on more antibiotics?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesal View Post
Hi Bryanna,

I wanted to follow up with you in regards to my situation for further advice.

I saw another oral surgeon who felt the other Dr. didn't do an adequate enough job cleaning out the extraction site on the left. On the right side where grafting was also done, the membrane started showing and one of the screws started coming up.

I went back to the original Dr. who did my surgery. He went back in to remove the membrane on the right side and screw which was done January 7. On the left side where the tooth was extracted, he did an x-ray and said there was an infection present which he went back in to clean out. The right side is feeling better and I don't have a lot of the pain. The left side where the extraction and grafting was done pain is better. One issue I continue to have is the bad taste in my mouth coming from the extraction site. I'm doing Chlorhexidine 2 times per day along with salt water rinses.

Since I continue to have this bad taste where the tooth was extracted and bone grafting done, do you think there is still infection present? I'm 6 weeks post op from my original surgery.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote