View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 07:34 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Dormant infection?

A little over two years ago I had my wisdom teeth removed. Rather foolishly, I reasoned the calculated risk of getting an infection made the time and effort it'd take to get the prescribed antibiotics a waste of my time. Well had I known the pain, swelling, fever, sleepless nights, and overall discomfort I was about to experience I would have made a different decision.
After the infection started I had to "waste my time" to get the antibiotics anyway. Go figure. Anyway, I like to keep a positive attitude so I can look back on that situation and laugh at myself.

What's not as funny however, is my current situation. Starting 4 days ago (now this is two years after my tooth was removed and prior infection occurred) there's been sharp pain in the exact same spot where my prior infection hurt the worst.

On top of this I've had a fever, swollen gums, earache, light headaches, general pressure buildup in the head, and sore throat like symptoms (including trouble swallowing from sharp pain and the white sores all over my tonsils). What's interesting to me is that, as I mentioned, the main source of pain is in the exact same spot but, even more so is that the strange pus like taste I had in my mouth two years ago is back (I'm 100% sure it's the exact same flavor). I should mention I got a strep test with the results coming in negative. Oh, and the infection is starting to spread onto my lower lip.

So, I guess all this to ask a few things.
  • Is it possible for this to be the same infection from two years ago?
  • To get antibiotics can I see either my dentist or doctor (and which would be better)?
  • What other actions should I be taking besides salt gargles, plenty of water/fluids, and resting.

Thank you all for your time and concern,

Jeremy

P.S. As a token of appreciation here is a joke:
My mom taught me some valuable life lessons; like the way to a woman's heart.

It’s through her rib cage.
JeremyCML is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote