View Single Post
Old 01-23-2015, 10:45 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Vangelia,

I am in the dental field and can offer you some information here.

Your description indicates that you most likely have two things:

One) A dry socket. This is an infection of the bony socket, the hole, where the tooth use to be. This occurs when the blood clot either did not form properly or it fell out immediately after the surgery. This infection also occurs when there is infectious bacteria in the area where the tooth was and it was not cleaned out when the tooth was removed.

The treatment for a dry socket is for the oral surgeon to give you novocaine to numb up the area, so he can go into the socket and clean it out. Then a medicated packing is put in. That packing needs to be changed by the oral surgeon every day or every other day for about a week, depends on the severity of the problem.

Two) You have a sinus communication. This means that either the infection from the tooth spread from the tooth into your sinuses and/or the sinus was perforated when the tooth was extracted.

There is no doubt that your sinus is open and that needs to be diagnosed and treated properly.

It is best to see an oral surgeon, not a general dentist for these problems. Oral surgeons are more educated and experienced with your situation.

I hope this info was helpful to you. Please check back in with us.
Bryanna

E=Vangelia;1119830]Hm my problem seem to be similar to some of the things people wrote.
I had a tooth extraction last week on Thursday and they told me all the risks and one of them was that sinus can be open. They didn't say if this actually happened after the extraction. Few days later I felt unwell, headache, left side where tooth was removed was pulsing badly, I felt weak and sick. That just got worse until one night I couldn't sleep. I went back to dentist and they removed the stitches to see better and said there is no infection. I told them that when i was rinsing my mouth the water was coming out my nose but they didn't seem to think that's odd. They put something antibacterial in my tooth and said it will fall and if I have pain in few days to go back. On next day something very stinky started coming out my nose and I felt horrible. This morning I woke up with horrible headache and the antibacterial thing fell out. The moment I rinsed my mouth with salty water everything came out my nose. Now I'm about to visit my dentist again, hopefully get some help as this is this is the worse experience in my life. I can't sleep, eat or do my daily routines as I have no power. if anyone has some advice, that would be great.[/QUOTE]

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote