View Single Post
Old 01-24-2015, 08:51 PM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Help Delayed Wisdom Tooth Infection

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed in November 2014 and that went as well as expected. I made a full recovery in about 2-3 weeks. In the beginning of January 2015, I noticed pain and swelling in the area where my bottom right wisdom tooth was removed. I though maybe I had some food or something stuck back there so I tried rinsing with mouthwash a couple times a day for a few days. Swelling and pain didn't improve so I made an appointment with my Oral Surgeon. I went in yesterday and he said that I had a little pus. He said it was infected. He gave me a little novocain and re-cut open the area and scraped all of the infection out(most painful thing I have ever experienced in my life) and rinsed the area with saline. I was in tears throughout the entire procedure and was in excruciating pain for the next 4 hours-constant tears. Luckily, I had some leftover pain meds from my wisdom tooth extraction. I almost ended up in the ER. Also- My cheek is SOOO swollen and bruised today. It looks like I have half of a tennis ball sticking out of my jaw. My question is: Should've my doctor given me a little anesthesia or laughing gas? Like I said, he did give me 2 shots of novocain, but they didn't do much for me. Also, do doctors normally prescribe pain medicine after a procedure like this? Is the amount of swelling I have normal?
rmlballer21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote