View Single Post
Old 01-26-2015, 10:07 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz Migraine View Post
How is SSI affected for a child or an adult who has $$$ set aside for their upkeep through a will or trust fund if their parents/guardians dies from either accident or old age?
I know this question was posed to Janke, but since the potential issue has come up in my family, I just want to mention that Medicaid eligibility is an issue as well.

My nephew's medical bills can be astronomical since it's not uncommon for him to require long periods of hospitalization as well as caring for all his other special needs. He's currently on SSI as well, but the bigger issue is his eligibility for Medicare if his father, my brother, were to receive an inheritance. Since he is renting, it would be practical if he were to purchase a modest home within 30 days of receiving the funds, so as to not have issues of Medicare eligibility for his son.

Ginnie has posted several times in the past about her difficulties with SSI and Medicare eligibility since the home and funds set up for her in a trust were not properly executed by the attorney her parents hired.

This link offers some ideas on the proper way to set up a trust: http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/res...curity/using-t

Last edited by LIT LOVE; 01-26-2015 at 11:10 PM.
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mz Migraine (01-27-2015)