View Single Post
Old 01-27-2015, 03:51 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi, everyone. It has been a while since I posted and I wanted to follow up with a response on how I have been post surgery. I underwent surgery for a first rib resection and scalenectomy back is September 2014 with Dr. Lum at Johns Hopkins followed by venoplasty 2 weeks later. It took me a really long time and many doctor consultations, each with a different surgical approach before I finally decided to have the surgery, and am very happy to have decided to have the surgery with Dr. Lum. The surgery took about 2hrs from the time I was taken into the operating room. The incision was made tranaxiallary (armpit) and is about 2-3 inches long. . I was pretty soar all over after the surgery not just around the incision but pretty much my whole upper body, but I was able to manage with the pain medication I was given. I didn't get much sleep while in the hospital but I was able to walk around my floor throughout the night which I think helped in my recovery. I stayed in the hospital overnight and was released the next day in the early afternoon. The first week 2 weeks post surgery I was pretty soar but was able to do all activities of daily living just being cautious. I did experience some numbness in my armpit and the back of my arm, but that has gotten better over time and has pretty much disappeared. During my surgery I also experienced a small pneumothorax which caused my breathing to be a bit labored for a few days post surgery, but that also healed on its own and did not require a chest tube. I started physical therapy about 3 weeks post surgery and returned to work 5 weeks post surgery with a restriction of 10lb weight limit. I am extremely happy that I chose to have surgery with Dr. Lum and cannot say enough good things about him. He was always very easy to contact through email and always answered any questions that I had.
I know it is a difficult decision to make to have surgery and ,I would be happy to answer any questions anyone may have about my surgical experience.
soccy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote