View Single Post
Old 01-27-2015, 08:16 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcleme2 View Post
My wife has Parkinson’s disease that was diagnosed in May 2007 and now has twisting movements of severe dyskinesias. Taking carbidopa/levodapa (C/L )25/100 two tablets every 4 hours. Once a day taking 1mg Azilect and a 6mg Neupro patch.
Generally getting 2hours or less of good time after the C/L takes effect. After that having intense pain that lasts many of the times until the next C/L dosage takes effect. Extreme muscle contractions for 1 to 1.5 hours that feel crushing(happens in legs, abdomen, shoulders, neck, intestines – not all at the same time but many times in combination). Spending around 9 hours or more in this pain every 24 hours. Husband massages these various areas to get some temporary relief and walking around sometimes helps. Been to see neurologist and emergency room twice and no one gets the intensity of the twisting and pain. We have not been given anything for these painful times. We need help and need it now because we are unable to continue much longer.
Natalie gave good advice.
Just thought I'd add to that by emphasising timing of meds.
The 4th hourly schedule of 200 mg levodopa if its changed to 100 mg 2 hourly is still what Dr ordered in a daily dosage but given more frequently in smaller doses I think will benefit both the dyskinesia and what sounds regarding the pain like dystonia.
It'll give a more consistent steady supply in the body than a big hit of levodopa occurring at same time causing the dyskinesia and then not enough causing the dystonia.
made it up is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
natnat (01-27-2015), Thelma (01-29-2015)