View Single Post
Old 01-28-2015, 01:12 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default painful dyskinesia

at around six or so years on dopa, and at the above around 1g/day, dyskinesia adversely affects many of us. unlike dystonia which can manifest itself in many painful " sustained twisting actions", dystonias are more akin to seizures in my mind. You can be sitting in a chair feeling ok one minute and then the spine twisting or other body twisting motions occur. The motions can get so violent that one is incapacitated, and very relieved when a particularly bad event subsides. The only thing that i know of to combat dyskinesia is possibly trying Amantadine. (Azilect quit?); and/or lowering your dopa dose, and thus sacrifice some movement. An antispasmodic drug such as flexeril or robaxin works for some , but is inconsistent. A relatively high dose of the benzodiazepine , Clonopin (1 to 2 mg), and a few shots of booze taken before a dyskinetic event will often make the dyskinesia subside within 20 mintes or so, but it is habituating. Better than getting hooked on narcotics though, because with narcotics, you must keep escalating the dose and it can get out of hand much too rapidly. In 18 years since i was scripted 4mg of Clonopin, i still respond to 4mg and no more. Booze is generally contraindicated in PD in general, but if you are prudent you can use it successfully to help with twisting dyskinesa. A lot of us have neurogenic pain such as sciatica that gets wicked when you twist your spine during a "twisting dyskinetic event". Neurontin or lyrica have helped some, but once again are inconsistent. just some ideas. cs
ol'cs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
johnt (01-28-2015), olsen (01-30-2015)