View Single Post
Old 01-29-2015, 02:23 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabel Rawlinson View Post
Thank you for the reply ali12. It certainly does sound a bit like the POTS thing. He says that sitting at his computer seems to be the worst thing for it. That is pretty grim on it's own because it's taking away yet another thing that he does to keep himself sane and happy.
He is going to ask to see a cardiovascular person so hopefully they will be able to get to the bottom of it.
He is pretty worried about having his driving licence taken away. We both live in rural areas and I don't drive so we would struggle to see each other if that happened. Do you drive?

Thank you for the video link LitLove. I am hoping it isn't that as his ekg was normal and not particularly slow or fast.

I have found out that there is a CRPS centre in Plymouth hospital so he will also be asking to be referred there.

Does anyone have any tips or lifestyle changes that might help him to feel better? He wants to get an exercise bike to try and maintain some fitness with gentle exercise, is this a good idea?
Thanks again everyone for the information and support.
Hi Mabel,

I also find that sitting at the computer or in one place for too long triggers the symptoms. I'm currently in university and have 2 hour lectures which lead me prone to feeling faint / fainting or getting migraines. Thankfully I have my university lecturers support and additional learning support in place if required. If it is POTS, symptoms often get worse from sitting / standing too long and then changing position so it definitely sounds like something he could be suffering from.

I'm glad he is seeing a Cardiologist. That is who diagnosed my POTS from several different tests including a tilt table test and a 24 hour Blood Pressure / Heart Rate monitor and blood tests. It is a slow process unfortunately but if it is POTS, he will probably be put on medication.

One word of advise and something you can try that won't do any harm is to ensure he drinks at least 2 litres of water a day and increases his salt intake. That is often the first thing doctors say to try before medications to see if it reduces the symptoms.

I have an automatic driving license (have to drive auto due to the RSD as unable to move my left food). The DVLA were aware of my POTS and I have it set where I am unable to drive the car if feel ill. It is really frustrating as I have to rely on others to drive me places, I can't actually remember the last time I drove... it was probably months ago. If I faint, I have to stop driving for at least 6 months.

The exercise bike is a good idea, the thing if it is CRPS is 'Use it or lose it'. Start off with really gentle exercises, and then build up when able. There is a very fine line between doing too much and too little. Another thing that may be worthwhile is signing up to a gym. I go to one that is aware of CRPS / POTS and my other health issues and they have developed a programme to suit my needs. It isn't a lot of work, only very minimal and doesn't include weights etc but it is worthwhile.

I hope things improve soon, keep us posted and if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask me.