View Single Post
Old 01-29-2015, 02:24 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
There are tests that help identify small fiber neuropathy, such as a sweat test (identify if there are areas you are not sweating), sensitivity to vibration, heat, & cold. They can test such things at a specialized facility such as Mayo, I know there are others. They told me they don't generally do biopsies anymore because they can get as much info from these other procedures, which I suppose have less risk to the patient. They have designed and built their own devices to perform these tests, at least it appears so.
Ron
Just wanted to chime in. You can have small fiber neuropathy, and have normal tests for the above. I feel vibration fine, heat and cold fine, etc, and my sweat test came back totally normal.

I do, however, have the small fiber neuropathy symptoms (non length dependent, burning, shooting, numbness, pressure pain-they all wax and wane), and my two punch biopsies came back with significantly low nerve fiber density, and I was finally able to get diagnosed. So I think the biopsy is really the only sure fire way to know.
ellsac is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote