View Single Post
Old 01-30-2015, 11:19 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi covertid,

I am in the dental field and can offer you some information here.

I assume you had 5 teeth removed? One molar and 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed? Is that correct? Did the stitches come out on their own or were they removed by you?

Swelling of the jaw after wisdom tooth removal is normal. The swelling can last up to a few weeks as it slowly subsides with each day. In some people it lasts longer, in others not as long. Just depends on the individual case.

I read your other post about the dentist now giving you the syringe. It is not absolutely necessary to irrigate the surgical wounds with the syringe. If you do use the syringe only fill it with warm salt water and do not put the syringe inside the socket. Just irrigate gently from the top of the opening because you do not want to disturb the formation of the blood clot and new growth of fibrous tissue.

It is necessary to keep all of your other teeth very clean so you do not accumulate plaque and equally important to rinse 3-4 times a day with warm salt water. Refrain from using any type of mouthwash as the chemicals will irritate the surgical wounds and also can contribute to a dry socket. Be sure to eat a nutritious diet consisting of soft foods until the wounds close over with gum tissue. Avoid food that is spicy as it is too harsh on the surgical sites and chewy food as that requires over usage of your jaw muscles. Avoid anything that can get caught inside the socket like seeds or rice.

It is imperative that you take a probiotic supplement to rebuild the good bacteria that you have lost in your intestinal tract from the medication. Even if your diarrhea stops, it is still wise to replenish the good bacteria for your overall health.

Hope this information was helpful.
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by covertid View Post
Hi, anyone out there can help me, I had 1 bottom molar, and impacted wisdom teeth surgically removed about 10 days ago, today I had it un-stitched. My jaws were still abit swollen but I feel no pain. Is the swell normal? I finished my prescribed course of medication, 4 days ago and I had mild diarrhea today. Also, the dentist did not issue me the syringe to irrigate the holes, what else can I do to prevent the hole from clogging up by food. I'm afraid of infections. lastly, what are the chances now that I have un-stitched the wound, and a dry socket would occur?

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote