View Single Post
Old 01-30-2015, 07:15 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
The 60 G research is based on a number of sources. The US Air Force did G research on pilots. They can experience very high side to side G forces during quick roll movements of fighter jets. The football research was done looking at the head with G sensors (accelerometers) between the helmet padding and the players head with EEG sensors and recording equipment recording the changes in brain wave form. The in-helmet sensors have recorded 120 G's or more for very small times (milliseconds). The NFL uses 98 G's as the threshold for concussions based on their research. Again, this is 98 G's at the skull, not at the exterior of the helmet.

This research has been going on in the US since the mid 1990's. I could give you a long list of names and research organizations but you would likely just discount them anyway. Here is just one : http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/relea...0-percent.html Note they have seen 250 G's of force in their research.

What is your objection to the 60 G number ? Do you think it is too high or too low based on your understanding ?

*admin edit* I have already posted, before this comment, which i think should make clear why this question was asked.

Also, it must be noted that this is clearly a fad subect in the USA at recently. NFL ect is big money, the sport is dangerous and that comes with insurance issues. This will have an effect on the research conducted. In other parts of the world, who do not hae such financial investment, it somewhat a moot point. Folks getting attacked, or involved in car accidents (non sport) ect do not factor in this research.

Fro what I can see the research is also flawed in that it does not account for individualistic variables.

Yes it is important to regulate health concerns in sort, whether contact of racing ect, but this is a narrow view and one which is not entirely applicable to most posters here. Most people are not physics whizzis nor do they happen to have measuring devices at the time of accident. It is all very hypothetical, and can seem dismissive of those who are suffering.

Last edited by Chemar; 01-30-2015 at 07:48 PM.
_Ash_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote