View Single Post
Old 01-30-2015, 09:07 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi covertid,

Usually a dry socket occurs within the first 2-7 days post op. However, if the sockets are chronically irritated by chewing on them, impacted food debris or excessive usage of the irrigating syringe, then the healing can become comprised.

It is okay to gently irrigate the sockets with warm salt water 2-3 times a day. The purpose of the irrigation is to gently dislodge food debris, not clean the sockets out as if they were dirty. Swishing with warm salt water basically does the same thing.

All oral wounds from tooth extractions are going to have an unpleasant odor until the gum tissue closes over. Of course if food is impacted in the wound the odor will be worse. Also keep in mind that many people will not adhere to a different diet during the healing phase and that is the most common reason for food impaction in the wounds. Something else that would help with the odor and help keep your mouth really clean would be to use a tongue scraper once a day. The best time to use that is after you brush your teeth at night.

Bryanna
Hi Bryanna,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I guess I will just rinse saltwater 4 times a day and irrigate the hole at night before I sleep, to prevent any food lodge inside, is it a better idea?

Thanks alot!
covertid is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote