View Single Post
Old 02-01-2015, 12:05 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Looking for Info on Neuroinflamation

I'd be really interested to hear from anyone who can shed some light on this topic or in having a relevant discussion.

Here are some details particular to my situation as well as some things that I have found in my investigations:

When I am flared up I experience burning sensations symmetrically distributed through my arms, legs and face as well other nerve related symptoms such as fasciculations. I've come to the conclusion that some underlying phenomenon (possibly auto-immune) is causing my nerves to become temporarily inflamed. However, there is very little information on neuroinflamation available on the net. It seems to be somewhat uncharted territory. I know that there aren't really tests for it outside of a research setting. A recent study on CFS patients found a link between CFS and neuroinflamation which was measured by looking at astrocyte activity in the brain.

Can a malfunctioning immune system trigger the production of certain substances that can irritate the nerves? What would these substances be?

As for the burning sensations I know that inflammation can cause cells to spill their negatively charged contents which have an acidic effect on the surrounding tissues which can in turn set off the acid sensing ion channels (ASICS) and thus produce the burning feeling. However, this doesn't fully explain the process of neuroinflamation.
Nebulous is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote