View Single Post
Old 02-01-2015, 09:06 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

From my personal experience, alcohol has done far worse things to my brain than trauma itself. But, then again, each concussion is highly individualized.

If your initial concussion was alcohol-related, as mine was, I would highly recommend staying away from the stuff as long as possible. Alcohol consumption brings about a chemical environment in the brain very similar to that effected a few hours after large amounts of trauma, and drinking may trigger a "memory effect," therefore putting into motion the secondary processes associated with concussion.

It's your call; I know that, for me at least, if I crush a bunch of beers there's a good chance I won't experience any *perceptible* permanent effects. But there's also a good chance I will. Even if I don't, I know it's probably not the best in terms of long-term recovery and/or re-acquisition of cerebral "toughness." This last part is conjecture, but the toxicity of alcohol and the similarity of its effects to those of alcohol is very much so documented.
crobert is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote