View Single Post
Old 09-22-2006, 05:45 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks Sally, MrsD and orthomolecular for some really good info! I'll go out and get the proper stuff then and combine it with what orthomolecular suggested. I don't think I have a problem with low histamine considering I only took 1/2 a tab of niacin and brightened up like a cherry all over!

Here is the journal abstract that my original post was based on:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_DocSum

J Neurosci. 2006 Sep 20;26(38):9794-804. Links
Protecting axonal degeneration by increasing nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide levels in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis models.Kaneko S, Wang J, Kaneko M, Yiu G, Hurrell JM, Chitnis T, Khoury SJ, He Z.
Division of Neuroscience, Children's Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA.

Axonal damage is a major morphological alteration in the CNS of patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) and its animal model, experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE). However, the underlying mechanism for the axonal damage associated with MS/EAE and its contribution to the clinical symptoms remain unclear. The expression of a fusion protein, named "Wallerian degeneration slow" (Wld(S)), can protect axons from degeneration, likely through a beta-nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD)-dependent mechanism. In this study, we find that, when induced with EAE, Wld(S) mice showed a modest attenuation of behavioral deficits and axon loss, suggesting that EAE-associated axon damage may occur by a mechanism similar to Wallerian degeneration. Furthermore, nicotinamide (NAm), an NAD biosynthesis precursor, profoundly prevents the degeneration of demyelinated axons and improves the behavioral deficits in EAE models. Finally, we demonstrate that delayed NAm treatment is also beneficial to EAE models, pointing to the therapeutic potential of NAm as a protective agent for EAE and perhaps MS patients.

PMID: 16988050 [PubMed - in process]
wannabe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote