View Single Post
Old 02-03-2015, 12:51 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi kmd,

Sometimes when a lower wisdom tooth is removed there is an irritation to the nerves in the lower jaw bone in the area of where the wisdom tooth was located. This irritation can most commonly temporary but sometimes it can be permanent. When that happens, a variety of symptoms can occur similar to what you have described. However, these same symptoms can also occur for the following reasons:

1) If there is an infection in the bone irritating those same nerves.

2) If the blood clot was disturbed in the early stages of healing.

3) If there was chronic irritation to the deep wound from:
a) over rinsing
b) using a tea bad past the first day of post op
c) using medicament's like clove oil too often that were irritating to the wound
d) from smoking, drinking alcohol or soda.

4) Certain medications such as Prozac and continuous use of Ibuprofen can cause a decrease in saliva which predisposes the deep oral wound to becoming dry.

All of those things I have listed can cause a disturbance in the early stages of healing and in the proper formation of the blood clot, which will cause the deep wound to become dry and irritated. The result is usually radiating, shooting, sharp, and sudden pain as you have described it here.

So it is best to see an oral surgeon who is going to evaluate your situation very thoroughly. You should have an xray taken to see if there is any additional pathology occurring in the wound or around the bone graft. The bone has not yet started to fill in as that does not start to occur for several weeks or longer. The bony socket from where the tooth was removed, takes up to a full year or so to completely fill in with bone. The gum tissue generally covers a healthy extraction wound within 4-6 weeks. Some people a bit sooner, others a bit longer.

Please let us know how the appointment goes with the new oral surgeon.
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmd1019 View Post
Thanks, Cleo. I have requested an appointment with another OS for a second opinion. I don't want to mess around with this, and my current OS doesn't seem too concerned (which maybe it really is nothing to be concerned about) but I would like someone to at least explain it to me and verify whether or not my concerns are legitimate.

As of now, I'm still in quite a bit of pain, can't chew and I'm even more limited in opening my jaw now. I mean, this can't possibly be normal for a wisdom tooth extraction, can it? Shouldn't I have improved at least a little bit by now? I haven't had any zingers since this morning, and I only had a couple. No sensation coming back yet. I'm probably getting myself worked up over nothing, but better safe than sorry.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote