View Single Post
Old 02-03-2015, 01:14 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Thank you all for your helpful replies. I called two other OS offices this morning and neither would see me as I have an active issue and they "don't want the liability." I guess I could understand that, but not really sure how someone is supposed to go about getting a second opinion then. I called my original OS office even though he is out of town on vacation and they are going to set me up with an appt. to see the OS who is covering for him, so at least it will be a second set of eyes checking everything out. It's not that I don't trust my surgeon, I think he's super capable, I just feel like something else is going on and I'm not really getting enough explanation from him.

I woke up at 2:30am in pain again, but this time I had the ibuprofen by the bedside and was able to get back to asleep within an hour or so. It's so crazy to me that I slept fine right after surgery and the following two weeks, but all of a sudden in my third week of healing I'm waking up in the middle of the night. Maybe it's just the nerve healing and I'm feeling things more now? I don't know, I don't notice any change in the numb area. It's harder to open my mouth today, my jaw just seems to be very limited.

To answer the questions asked:

-The stitches were removed last Thursday by the OS
-The area had been stitched closed so I don't know if a blood clot ever formed, but there's definitely not one there now, the socket is just an empty gap.
-I've been rinsing with salt water 4-6 times a day, not sure if that is too much
-I only did a tea bag one time (yesterday) which seemed to help a little bit but not enough for me to try it again.
-I don't smoke or drink alcohol or soda so no potential culprits there.
-The OS didn't tell me anything really about the infection (i.e. what is actually infected). There is a hard lump on my jawbone that hurts so bad I can't even really touch it. There's also a lump in the same area on the inside of the cheek, it's probably the same one. Maybe the jaw bone is infected?

What I don't understand is if I have an infection and the socket is open, wouldn't that mean the bone graft failed?
kmd1019 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote