Old 02-03-2015, 11:52 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
Yes, it could be apraxia.

Can the child form his lips into a circle to, say, blow out a birthday candle?

With the help of SLP, people with apraxia can learn to speak. In the interim, is your friend being encouraged to teach him to sign? If he turns out to be just a "late talker," there's no harm in learning this skill.
Hi. If I come out with any of this info, they will know that I am sticking my nose in. This has to be done very carefully.

Some family members say "What is all the fuss about, he'll speak when he wants to speak". Since the baby is already getting early intervention and speech therapy as well as other kinds of therapy for low muscle tone, right now it's not appropriate that I stick my nose in and talk about PROMPT. I am definitely going to look into this but keep my opinions to myself unless I am asked. As he gets older, however, people will start to talk. Especially if the little guy is NOT talking like his peers. That much will become fairly obvious.

The mother of this little guy is very hands on and does all googling and stuff. She KNOWS. The other family members don't get it. It must be very hard for family members to even acknowledge that there might be something wrong.

So all I do is get excited every time he says anything (which by the way, is practically nil). Kids his age SPEAK. I have had conversations with children his age. So that's not happening here. And then there is a new baby coming.

Must be extremely frustrating.

I'm definitely going to educate myself on this PROMPT therapy.

And I thank you heartily for taking the time to respond. I'll update if anything happens.

Mel

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (02-04-2015)