View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default About that pump!

About time! And for safety.....
Valese and Mel - if you KNOW and you should know what brand you are using, all but one brand of IVIG state that it MUST be used with a pump! No ands, ifs, or buts!

If your brand states pump - GET PUMP! IF you are not being infused with a pump, call your doctor and your state licensing medical board simultaneously about the service not administering this blood product properly. Yes, it takes longer for the services; yes, nothing 'ususally' happens w/o a pump, but, do YOU want to take the risk of being in that 10th of a percent? If you want I can probably find the State board's website and post it...seems I can 'find' this sort of stuff easily... To me, it's kind of like a doc doing surgery without gloves or washing their hands - too old fashioned for these real times.

OK you have pump - now what? My own is a small 'portable' one, that I start charging the nite before my infusions. It comes with a sort of tote bag that holds the IVIG pak and the pump. I charge it each nite before use, use it then put it back in the bag till the next time. It's easier than a pole pump, but as long as the pole pump has battery back-up you should be OK for bath-room trips [as needed]. My pump did not come with instructions, my first pump 'day' I had to be plugged in for the 3+ hours needed.

As for how long an infusion can take...well doctor orders are just that! That's why a copy of the doc's infusion instructions should come with each package, they do with mine. As an aside, while I have had problems with infusions in the past, my nurse AND I have worked it out for a schedule of infusion that is quicker and yet tolerable for me. Should I have residual issues after any particular infusion, I make a note and let the nurse know ahead of time -when scheduling the next infusion...it gives her time to plan or re-plan the other patients she also has to do on those days. I also schedule my next month's infusions as the nurse is leaving from my house...this way we are all on the same pages about what is going on and what may have to be changed. Just things you should know and work out as needed, I guess.

To be even more blunt, scheduling my infusions is my first priority. Doctor appointments, weddings, funerals and anything else is definitely a 'second' in my life. For some IVIG is not a regular nor consistent treatment. Looking over all the information on it - what it is for, what it can and can't do, and my medical issues - I figured that if treatment was successful, it would mean a lifetime of treatment. I am far better with it than without it. I really would hate to think of where my life would be without it tho...since I am not there I am not going to worry about the alternatives!

Hugs to all - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote