View Single Post
Old 02-04-2015, 10:47 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I use a TENS unit mostly for my ankle (the original site of my RSD) but also sometimes for flare ups in my arms if the pain is in a spot that I can surround with the electrodes from the TENS unit. I find it to be one of the most successful means on pain control...but it is limited in the sense that I can only use it when I'm have a flare up in a specific spot vs more generalized all over pain (I get both).

When I use it for my ankle I surround the pain site with the electrodes (about an inch or two away from the pain site on all sides). Then I put on socks or an ankle brace to hold everything in place...and then I run the cords of the TENS unit up my pant leg (so they won't snag on anything) and have the control unit attached at the waist band or pocket of my pants. Then I can wear it all day long.

I find that for me...I have to have the setting set at a constant level (vs a variable one) and I set it at the lowest setting I get relief from. Then...as time goes on I will increase that level during the session (sometimes I have it on for only 15 minutes, usually 30 minutes, and sometimes even an hour). When the session is over I turn it off and when the pain starts to creep up again I do another session. This works VERY well for me.

But the limitation for me is that this works great when my ankle flares up, or my forearm, but when my whole leg flares up at once then the TENS unit doesn't work and only aggravates the pain.

I may check out this sensus one...as it doesn't sound like you have to surround the area of pain with the electrodes...so maybe that would work better over a bigger, more generalized area.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
birchlake (02-04-2015), crpsspoonie12 (03-24-2015), LIT LOVE (02-05-2015)