View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 03:45 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Confused RA, Hashimoto's and high immunoglobulin in CSF with small fiber neuropathy

Can anyone here tell me if my small fiber neuropathy is advanced and progressive or mild please? My EMG and brain MRI and F waves in one little finger were all clear a few weeks ago. However when the neurologist assessed me himself in November he felt I had an advanced and progressive SFN. He put me into hospital (Scottish NHS) to try and establish whether or not it is immune mediated. My GP tells me he thinks it must be from the CSF result - raised immunloglobulin levels.

However in his last letter 8 months ago my rheumatologist ruled out vasculitis or any separate connective tissue pathology including Lupus - on the basis of my negative autoantibodies to date. He wrote "she continues to complain of nerve pain. I can only assume this is a mild small fiber neuropathy. I do not plan to investigate this".

I'm so confused - is this lumbar puncture result (immunloglobulin) likely to change his attitude towards my symptoms or is he likely to call it idiopathic and only suggest I try more antidepressants and anti convulsants?

I feel caught somewhere between rheumatology and neurology with both passing the buck - probably for financial reasons.

I should add that my symptoms started 5 years ago with deep heat surges in my wrists. This stopped with NSAIDS, steroids and DMARDs but came back when I failed to tolerate these drugs and stopped. Now I have burning and wet sensation up above my knees and elbows with lightening bolts of pain in random parts sometimes - the wet/ freeze/ burbing is 24/7 despite trying Amitryptiline, Gaberpentin and now Duloxitine/ Cymbalta.
MAT52 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote