Thread: It's a start...
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2015, 03:03 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Having a CRPS I or II diagnosis will not make any difference to an ALJ compared to an RSD diagnosis.

If you haven't reviewed this SS ruling, start here:
https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0424580025

I'm not sure how much this will help, but at least scan this as well: http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/soc...ility-rsd.html

I think one of the toughest issues with a RSD/CRPS diagnosis with regards to applying for SSDI is that there is often a significant amount of optimism in the doctors notes, especially in the first few years. While it is true that technically you should qualify if you're unable to work for at least a year, and SS could set your CDR at a year, it's probably more likely that it'll take a few years for approval. Of course the standard drops a bit when you turn 50, so you should definitely research the Grid Rules and determine if it would make sense to either amend your Alleged Onset Date (some ALJs will allow you to use the age 50 grid six months prior to your bday) or even start a second application.

I'm not sure if you've undergone a Functional Capacity Evaluation, but you really need as much non-subjective evidence as possible. While the ALJ does determine RFC, it sure helps to have a FCE to back up why you can't perform even SGA.

The fact that you're starting with a new doctor could also really impact how long it'll take you to amass an overwhelming amount of evidence for approval. And of course, it would be even better if your medical team could help to return your function, so that you could return to work. (You could still pursue a closed period award going back to your original Alleged Onset Date.)

Of course, I could be wrong about the likelihood of a relatively fast approval, but it's best to try and prepare for the long haul when dealing with any SSDI application, IMO.

Last edited by LIT LOVE; 02-06-2015 at 03:38 PM.
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Always_Believe (02-06-2015)