View Single Post
Old 02-07-2015, 04:13 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Difficult question.

After the concussion I had around 10 years ago, my anxiety became much worse. I have residual vertigo that has become much better now, but it was quite bad for a number of years. That really was the thing that made me worse because I became afraid of falling again.

I watched every step and feared so much going through it all again. The fact is that it was my fear/anxiety that made me disabled more than the concussion did. I stopped living my life for a while there. I was afraid to drive and afraid to go to shopping centres with slippery floors.

I was afraid of wet concrete. You name it and I was afraid.
IMHO, they were not irrational fears. They are rational fears because a. I had fallen and b. I didn't want it to happen again.

Because I've always had this background anxiety disorder (mostly I just work around it) I was having panic attacks all the time. Not good!

I have in the past had treatment for anxiety and obsessive compulsive issues but I refuse to ever take medication again so I've tried more alternative routes. I use supplements and I practice relaxation techniques and attempt to meditate regularly although that is difficult with all the background chatter going on in my brain sometimes. I don't relax enough mentally but I'm much better than I was.

If anxiety reaches a point in your life when it is affecting your daily life, then it's really important to seek help dealing with it. There are many ways doctors treat anxiety and it doesn't just mean taking medications. Cognitive Behaviour Therapy can help us recognize the patterns we have learned with our thought processes and with guidance, they can be changed.

It's all very individual.

p.s. I think you wrote in your first post that you were at university.
Does your University offer any help for students who are facing health issues such as this? That is worth investigating as it may help you keep on track with your studies and at the same time you will have support and maybe accommodations set in place in your learning environment.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Katharsis (02-07-2015)