Thread: It's a start...
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2015, 03:08 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

"This confuses me a bit but what I believe you are saying is the lapse in seeing an MD is my downfall. So the fact that I could not afford an MD until such time as I did see one (and received the diagnosis at that visit) will not really come into play with my appeal...???"

It's MOST LIKELY your downfall for a fast approval IMO. There are certain illnesses where this is not the case--pretty much those that qualify as Impairment Listings found in the Blue Book, and this is why it can get confusing. You have a different set of requirements. Assuming your biggest current health issue is RSD/CRPS, you're newly diagnosed with no history of how you'll respond to meds or treatment. If you do a good job of documenting your case between now and your ALJ hearing, it's totally conceivable that you could receive a Fully Favorable decision and receive backpay to your Alleged Onset Date.

If you are still on crutches and can not walk without them, that MIGHT be a game changer for a faster approval.

"With a new app after I turn 50, would I have the same AOD as it relates to my original app?"

No. You have to have an AOD on your 50th bday or later (or 6 months prior IF an ALJ allows it). So if you stick with your current application, and current AOD, the standard for approval will not decrease. (An ALJ doesn't actually need your permission to change your AOD btw, but then it becomes a Partially Favorable Decision. So, most often the applicant agrees to the change, a Fully Favorable decision is made, and you are unable to appeal the older AOD.)

"Found the RFC forms (). Still confused about the FCE. Whom do I request that from? Is there a form I missed for that?"

You ask your doc if he or she feels a Functional Capacity Evaluation would be appropriate. If you undergo a FCE, the doc or pt will generate a report showing the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always_Believe View Post
I am feeling so alone on so many fronts here and I appreciate your help so much! I almost feel like understanding the SSDI stuff is going to require way more work than my care (we have already come up with some solutions, but I am terribly worried my daughter-who has been my biggest help-will run off with her boyfriend who is of the mindset that I "can do stuff when I want to.
It is an incredibly difficult process. I don't mind contributing if I can help. If you choose to hire representation you still need to be involved, but to a lesser degree. Some attorneys are very good and you might want to check out local non attorney reps as well. Some attorneys will only look at your file half an hour before walking into an ALJ hearing--way too late to help you in many cases. Allsup has non attorney reps and they have a good rep for being hands on, which I think might make your life easier.

I received a Partially Favorable Decision for a closed period award where I had attorney representation, and then won a Fully Favorable Decision pro se several years ago. It's a good idea to have a rep in most cases...

Your daughter is probably just as likely to kick her bf out. How would he react if she has to face a devastating illness at some point? (I'm not sure I'd bring this up to her, but you get the point.) It is intrusive to be dependent financially and physically on anyone...

Be active about your treatment--both physical and mental. Go to a pain psych doc to help learn some strategies in coping with a permanent disability. Get food stamps if you're able (or food banks) and research any other financial programs you might qualify for. Do things to help around the house when you're feeling at your best. If it means getting up for 5 minute intervals to make dinner to help out, or fold laundry in bed, or make cookies as a surprise--great. You might want to check to see if there are any local housing options you might qualify for--even with long wait lists, it might be a good idea long term.
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote