View Single Post
Old 02-08-2015, 04:31 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by en bloc View Post
The aspirin takes a good 5 days to get out of your system...so this may be why you are still suffering the stomach pain. Not to mention, you obviously irritated the lining of your stomach from the aspirin...to the point of bleeding...this is actually quite concerning and should be followed up. If you continue to see blood (or black stools) then you need to get to an ER for assessment.
Thanks En Bloc. I phoned the out of hours doctor last night. He asked me to describe the bleeding and was satisfied that it was most probably because I had ingested a lot of blood when the nose bleed went down my nasal passage when I was sleeping on my back with my mouth guard in to stop my jaw crunching.

I know this sounds a bit bizarre but my mouth and nose were caked in blood when I woke (yuck - sorry!)

He did ask me to come into the hospital this morning to get a full blood count taken but our car was out of action and anyway I don't think I am anaemic. I get nose bleeds quite often from the dry sores that seem to form in the top of my nostrils. I don't have polyps so I think this is Sjogrens as part of my RA/ autoimmune disease. But the doctor confirmed that Asprin could cause or significantly worsen a nose bleed. Of course if I had more blood in my stools I'd go straight to A&E/ ER as the doctor also told me to.

Thanks for explaining that Asprin stays in the body for a while. That is useful to know and probably explains why the gnawing stomach continues - like being hungry and nauseous at same time. The emergency doctor said I should ask my GP to send me for an endoscopy. After the awful lumbar puncture of three weeks ago I find the thought of another unpleasant procedure a bit daunting but I'll get over it if this horrible tummy problem continues!
MAT52 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote