View Single Post
Old 02-09-2015, 05:34 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi HockeyMom,

I can understand your concerns about the rc causing a flare up and possibly increasing the intensity of the TN. Both of which may or may not occur immediately after the rc procedure. However, they are both significant systemic risks which would stem from the inflammation and chronic infection that resides in root canaled (non vital) teeth. More than likely the endodontist is not going to discuss those issues with you in detail because that would be like admitting that root canal treatment renders the teeth unhealthy, even though that is exactly what the procedure does.

Regarding dental implants, due to your CRPS and TN, you may not be a good candidate for them for similar reasons to having the root canal treatment. The systemic associations with (rc) non vital teeth is a chronic burden on the immune system. Dental implants are a foreign substance that also irritates the immune system. So in someone who has a chronic condition like CRPS and/or TN going on, the added burden of any other chronic irritant could be too much for the immune system to handle.

It would be wise to discuss replacement options with your general dentist for both of those teeth should you decide to have them extracted. I cannot give you viable options here because I do not know the condition of the rest of your teeth, gums and oral health. Your dentist would need a recent full mouth series of xrays and he would need to do a complete comprehensive examination to offer you replacement options.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom86 View Post
I am responding in red text. I am mostly concerned about a flare of CRPS or the TN pain becoming worse than it already is. I have some of your questions already in my notes but will add the others. Thank you so much for taking the time to write a detailed response. I really appreciate it. I wish I could afford implants because I don't want gaps in my mouth if I have the teeth pulled but don't want pain either.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote