View Single Post
Old 02-09-2015, 10:50 PM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Default This seems like a good place to start..

I don't even know where to start. Do any of us really know where to start our stories? My husband has TBI. It will be a year April 20. He bumped his head on our wedding day and within a week had to have emergency surgery. He was a recovering alcoholic seven years sober when we met. The brain injury has turned him back into a raging alcoholic. The whole situation is sucking the life out of me physically emotionally and mentally and he is oblivious. I have no support system here which is why I am on the site looking for at least someone who understands my situation. I moved from Hawaii to South Florida because he said if he could come back to Florida everything would be okay. I really wanted it to be true so I uprooted my entire life and I'm now in a place where I am completely unhappy and don't know anyone. And of course things are no better than they were in Hawaii. His blood alcohol was over 500 least week.!! How can he even still be alive? He decided he needed to go to the hospital and he just got out today. I thought everything was worked out for him to go into rehab recovery after he went through medical detox but of course that fell through. He was having to be monitored so closely they wouldn't put him in the detox center and because he didn't go through detox at the facility they wouldn't take him in recovery/rehab. He can't get disability. He can't keep a job. It's like having a three-year-old again. He goes to the bathroom on himself, he falls down all the time, he doesn't bathe, the list goes on and on and on and on and on. I don't know how much is TBI and how much is alcohol anymore. I tried so hard to take care of him and make sure he took his medication and do everything I was supposed to do. I'm terrified every day what I'll come home from work to find. He lies and steals, is combative and completely irrational 98% of the time. He's been hit by two cars and a big truck since we've been here in the last seven months because he gets on his bicycle and rides around completely oblivious to the world around him. I guess I'm really hoping it is the alcohol making him behave this way and that he'll quit drinking and everything will be fine. I know that's not reality but I need a little hope. I'm a special-education teacher and I've worked for many years with students with behavioral problems, brain injuries, mental illness and intellectual disabilities but I just cannot handle the addiction. I'm here to talk or listen if anybody needs me.... Thanks for letting me vent.
Tessab is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (02-18-2015)