View Single Post
Old 02-10-2015, 09:30 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

The key with CRPS is to keep moving...so as long as he is doing that he will be fine. The GOAL should be to get him into therapy out of the pool (or in combination with the pool)...but you don't want to push TOO hard too fast and cause him to have a setback where he can't do anything. When I did pool therapy I started with 3 pool days, then it moved to 2 pool days and 1 gym day, then 1 pool day and 2 gym days, until we moved out of the pool completely. This took place over the course of a few months.

There are likely at least some non weight bearing exercises he could try while seated...these are what I was started with when I was in the gym. The exercises were important because they were focused on getting me to move the right way, with very precise, deliberate movements aimed at getting me walking better on land vs the pool. I would discuss this with the doctor and physical therapist and see what they think is the best plan for your son.

You want to be aggressive with CRPS...but not so much that you cause setbacks. It's a delicate balance...but the important thing is to keep moving. That's why those seated exercises are so great...I was able to do them even when I was having a bad day and ensure that I kept moving...even when I was far past that in therapy. In fact...when I have a flare up even now I do those exercises to make sure I'm not immobilizing and making things worse by not moving.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
buffym (11-02-2015), Enna70 (02-10-2015), LIT LOVE (02-10-2015)