View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 09:43 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by en bloc View Post
I agree with MrsD about the past antibiotics or recent treatments possibly setting this into motion.

I would certainly go forward with the skin biopsy now that other tests are normal and they are actually recommending it (which you indicated could be tough to get done in the NHS). The nerve conduction studies CANNOT determine small fiber neuropathy, so no surprise they are normal. The skin biopsy, will confirm or rule out the SFN, as not only can it determine the density of fibers, but also look at condition of fibers for any abnormalities. It won't tell the you cause of the neuropathy, but it will confirm it's presence and give you a baseline for level of severity.
Thanks en bloc. In that case I will go ahead with the skin biopsy if the neuro pathologist agrees. I do know that the severity of nerve pain does not necessarily equate to the severity of nerve fiber damage from people on this site now. So I am more resigned to the idea that it's probably something I will have to learn to live with but will hopefuly not progress as originally thought. It also confirms my decision today to remain off drugs that aren't strictly necessary - such as Levothyroxine. Mat
MAT52 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (02-11-2015)