Thread: My Story.
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 12:24 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

thanks for this thread sally. it's a heartfelt way to get to know each other's stories. here's mine,

i graduated nursing school in '71 in miami. i did several types of critical care and finally settled in NICU (neonatal intensive care unit). i moved to denver, co and was working 12 hr shifts. i began to notice my gait changing and every few seconds felt an electrical kind of whooshing in my left leg. it drove me crazy and i never could explain it to my drs better than that. i was 53 y/o.

my pcp did an exam and sent me to a neuro. i had an mri. they found 6 brain lesions and 2 in my upper spine. i had 2 O-bands in my spinal fluid. i knew an MS dx was possible and was mentally preparing for it, or so i thought. when i was given the dx it was still a shock, it was 2003.

working was becoming very, very difficult. walking up and down the halls for 12 hrs was exhausting. and i was caring for sick babies of which many were under open warmers. i was very heat intolerant and it was debilitating. one day i went down to the cafeteria for lunch and to cool off. i could hardly walk. i sat at the table and started sobbing. i was scared.

i thought if i went part time i could prolong my work life (and so i also gave up my long term disability). i was wrong. when my cognition wasn't as sharp as i needed it to be to work i knew it was the end. i spent 18 yrs at that position and was an RN for a total of 35 yrs. i was devastated. when i cleared out my locker and left that hosp for the last time i really grieved for my loss.

let me speed ahead. i was on copaxone for a total of 11 yrs. then stopped. thank God my MS course has been fairly stable. i have never had an exacerbation. i have some cognition problems, i can walk with a cane and i can drive. thank goodness my strong leg is my Rt leg. my Lt leg is weak.

i was dx'd with breast CA in '08 and had bilateral lumpectomies. thank goodness i've been CA free since then. i have a lot to thank God for. i moved to st. augustine, fl to retire with friends. that was '10. however, have had C4 surgery, then bilateral cataract surg, hand surg for trigger fingers and now last yr had L4 surg. i have more strength in my bad leg. it turned out that some of the problems with my leg were coming from my back and not the MS.

yesterday i had an attempt to remove and IVC filter put in during that surg which was unsuccessful. i fervently hope the rest of this yr i will be healthy.
i need to control my diabetes and lose wt. then i could be off half my meds and maybe even the insulin. that's my goal for this yr.

i've found that making a plan of action has helped me best. break things down. take one thing and day at a time. i feel i have more control that way.
a friend by your side doesn't hurt either. i'm also thankful for all of you.
You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
--------------------------------------
"DESIDERATA" by Max Ehrmann
NurseNancy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
barb02 (02-12-2015), BBS1951 (02-16-2015), clarkstar (06-22-2015), Debbie D (02-12-2015), doydie (02-13-2015), Erika (02-14-2015), ewizabeth (02-12-2015), Jappy (02-25-2015), LoveCats (02-15-2015), msbluis (02-11-2015), SallyC (02-11-2015), Sea Pines 50 (02-11-2015), Snoopy (02-14-2015), tkrik (02-12-2015), Twinkletoes (08-07-2019), TXBatman (02-11-2015)