View Single Post
Old 02-12-2015, 04:38 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Root canal possible complications

So the story starts off with myself having tooth pain and swollen neck//jaw on my right side. I saw my regular physician on jan 30 2015. She prescribed amoxicillin, ibuprofen, and said see a dentist. The amoxicillin almost completely removed all pain and swelling by February 3rd. I figured that was great and could wait on getting a dentist to look at my teeth for a while.

By Saturday the 7th the infection came back with a vengeance, and I had about 3 days of amoxicillin left to take. My neck was much more swollen, and opted to visit a dentist ASAP. I ended up getting a root canal done on Monday the 9th, on tooth 31 (I believe) the last one on my lower right side. I was prescribed more amoxicillin and have been taking ibuprofen. However I can't quite open my mouth wide enough to brush my back teeth, let alone eat solid food. There is a hard swollen lump on my jaw, it's under the tooth that was root canaled. If I refrain from taking the ibuprofen the swelling increases and the pain is terrible.

My concern is that the germs might have built up an immunity to the amoxicillin(I have started taking the second script). The swelling went down slightly after having he root canal done, however I think it's only getting worse at this point. It's only been a couple days since the root canal, and I relize these things take time. My dentist said something about maybe having to go to a hospital to get meds through an IV. This was mentioned prior to getting the root canal done when he was informing me about the procedure. He also said this was a very low chance but wanted to make sure I was well informed. I can be a bit of a hypochondriac especially when googling illnesses.

I'm going to call my dentist today and see what he has to say. I have read lots of insightful things on this message board so I figured I would post my situation.
Thanks
-Cory
Cory733 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote