View Single Post
Old 02-12-2015, 11:30 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon345 View Post
The neurologist is going to do an EMG in two weeks on my hand and foot. Will that show the nerve damage if it is a spinal issue. I am very confused.
Hopefully, but the test isn't always definitive.

From a therapeutic standpoint, it really doesn't matter much, anyway. There is no "cure" for nerve damage. You have to wait and see how much you heal, and then learn how to live with any residual deficits.

At the present time, treatment is about pain control and accommodations. For example I use cooking/writing tools with large handles that are easier for me to grip. I also have tools to help me open jars. I use a saliva spray to keep my mouth moist, so I can swallow and my teeth don't rot.

Thanks to physio and occupational therapy, I have regained some dexterity in my hands and can button my own shirt, again. Yeah! They also taught me to write with my less affected left hand and helped me regain some sense of hot and cold. Yeah, again, for neuroplasticity. Considering where I started, and what I was up against, I'm amazed how far I've come and thankful to everyone who has helped me.

Hopefully, your issues will resolve as the nerves heal. If not, there are professionals who can help you learn to cope with your challenges. Try not to despair. Life does go on.
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
_Ash_ (02-12-2015)